Monday, March 4, 2013

Dating Online-The Swedish Way!


After being off the market for 4 years, it is with no small amount of trepidation that I enter the complicated world of modern courtship, and rightly so, because to add an additional layer of confusion I find myself dating in a foreign land, Stockholm, Sweden to be exact.


When in Sweden, do as Swedes do...so under the urging of my friend, a certain "Sweet-Swede", I joined the popular online dating site, HappyPancake.com, and lo and behold I received over 200 messages on my very first day! Now for such a quiet bunch(See Bern's Entry), Swedish males sure are talkative(aggressive) once you place a keyboard in front of them. Maybe a screen of anonymity is all it takes to bring out a Swede's inner Viking.

For those who know me, you know I am not one to do things in small doses or half measures. So of course I dove into Swedish online dating with both feet and ambitiously scheduled myself for 5 dates in one week. FIVE DATES!

4 Swedes, 1 Brit, 1 Fika, 2 dinners and 2 afterwork-drinks later, I think its safe to say that I have experienced the veritable spectrum of Swedish online dating! It was surprising(being in Sweden) that only one of my the guys did not offer to pay…maybe chivalry is well and alive, even in icy Scandinavia! And while it was expected that some of the dates would go better than others, it was unexpected that overall, I actually I quite enjoyed myself on most of the dates.

So here begs the question: If my dates went so well, why don't I have my very own Swedish "sambo" yet?

Even though I was willing to meet some of my would-be-suitors for date number two, my crazy-hectic-unpredictable life got in the way...but more importantly, I guess I am just a hopeless romantic. Remember when dating used to be a simple affair?-an unexpected encounter, a shy glance, a playful smile, nervous butterflies, and fireworks!-a spontaneous chemistry that just can't quite be replicated through online dating. And while I know these chance meetings are few and far-in-between, I cant help but keep holding out hope that I'll one day, maybe just maybe, meet my Prince(Viking) Charming the old fashioned way!

With all that said, I will still keep my Happypancake account and check my now 1000+ and counting messages, because when it comes to dating, a girl needs all the help she can get. But dear Scandi boys, the next time you see a cute girl on the tube, on the street or at the grocery store, or even at …Berns, channel your inner Viking, look her in the eyes, and just say "Hej!"



Xoxo - Ran - A simple girl in a complicated world-


Im Listening to:

"A Little Bit"- Lykke Li
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwAgFb-WfLA

3 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be creepy if a random stranger says Hi or tries to flirt with you?

    In America Men are taught to avoid bothering women in public places as it can offend them or make them insecure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compliments are always welcome! Its doesn't have to be creepy, if done the right way! and I think American men are a lot more open than Scandinavian men...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belfast Dogging
    Looking to arrange a dogging meet in Belfast? Meet one of our 20,000 local members. County Antrims leading dogging forum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...